Yesterday I was over at the design center ordering fabric for our kitchen chair cushions. (I am doing a Galbraith and Paul fabric with a contrasting flange from Pindler.) In any case, I was browsing the Galbraith & Paul fabrics while waiting for my representative to get back from lunch. I was able to see the new collection in person and it was so much prettier in person than in photographs (and you may recall that I loved the photographs).
But, here is the deal with Galbraith and Paul. The fabric is made to order (I had to submit a swatch of my working sample and my order will be matched to this.) There is a 5 yard minimum order and a bit of a lead time. For the right fabric, it is well worth the wait. But, let’s face it….sometimes you just want a yard and you don’t want to wait….or to pay over $100 a yard….
This Duralee fabric may fit the bill if you are loving this oversized pattern….and want to spend more like, say, $41.
And as I am working on this post….it also occured to me that this fabric may even be (or maybe not?) a better “look for less” for a Schumacher favorite.
What do you think?
I am sure you heard the news (featured in this month’s House Beautiful) that Duralee will soon be debuting a new licensed collection with textile designer, John Robshaw.
I love his ethnic prints. In fact, I was looking a some yellow pillows from his line a few weeks ago with Maddie’s bedroom in mind.
I cannot wait until this collection hits the showrooms. I am sure it will be fabulous.
What about you?
Poor little Harry is 7 months old now and this is how his room has looked since we moved to Dallas in late December. As you can see the below images are completely un-styled…..I am keeping it real here. You can even see Harry’s head popping up in one of the photos!
You may recall from my numerous posts on inspiration (or lack thereof) that my jumping off point has been the Logo patterned carpet by Stark. Originally on back-order until mid-July, it ended up coming in super early and is sitting at my receiver. I had it custom cut to the room….leaving a 6 inch perimeter of wood on the edges of the room.
Last week I had a contractor out to work on installing wainscoting on the lower 1/3 of the room and adding crown molding. I am loving the progress so far!
We will also be adding a piece of molding with a groove to the top of the wainscoting so that we can prop up photos and other accessories.
I have also selected a fan for the room. I had really struggled with this. I hate fans but it gets hot here and I figured I had to give on this one…and do what is practical. Because our ceilings are so low my options were limited. Ultimately, I decided on the one below….which sortof reminds me of an airplane propeller. And, while we are not doing a theme in Harry’s room….we do have some special aeronautical artwork for the room. (My husband went to the Air Force Academy in Australia and is very into history. He was able to track down a piece depicting the plane my grandfather was in while shot down at the end of WWII.)
All of the woodwork and trim will be painted Benjamin Moore’s Navajo White and the walls (and probably the back of the built in shelving) will be Benjamin Moore’s Crystalline.
And below are the fabric selections. I am going to do the windows with “Pollen” from Christopher Farr Cloth. I’ve also selected coordinating striped and solid linens from Duralee to recover the chair and ottoman (stripe with solid contrasting welting). I also want to have a square “poof” made for under the built in desk. Eventually, I’d like to have a tinted ghost chair at the desk….but right now I think it may be a hazard as Harry starts to crawl and eventually climb. No need helping him with his efforts by adding a chair over there!
I still have plenty to do. I need to find new hardware for the built-ins and the adjoining bathroom (he and Maddie share a Jack-and-Jill bathroom and each have their own sink areas and walk-in closets). Today, I’ve got an electrician coming out to replace all of the outlet plates and innards (the house was built in the 1920s and I want everthing to look re-freshed. Plus, we have to move some of the outlets and switches to accomodate the placement of the wainscoting).
I am now thinking of removing the soffets over the sink in the bathroom, installing an overhead light, adding sconces and framing out a large mirror. This will require losing a medicine cabinet but I think that is ok. We are also going to add crown molding in this area and I am going to put a large basket of towels under the cabinet. I don’t really see Harry sitting here primping too often!
So, today I am starting the search for lighting. This is the first room in the home to get any attention and it feels good to finally make a tad of progress!
Sorry for the lack of posts this week….I’ve taken the week off and have really been enjoying hanging out with my family. It’s been the perfect recharge we all needed with everything going on on our world.
But, in advance of Memorial Day weekend, the harbinger of Summer days, I thought I would do a quick post about a new line of Hawaiian print fabrics due out in July.
I am excited to see the full line when it is available in a month or so…. To me, nothing says summer better than a good Hawaiian print!